Return to Military Index Page
Return to Forts Index Page
Return to NM AHGP Main Page
Return to Territorial Soldiers of New Mexico
Camp Plummer was a military camp 1.5 miles south of Los Ojos. Fort Lowell existed from 1866 to 1869. It was an. Army post established in 1866 as Camp Plummer in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico. First named for Captain Augustus H. Plummer, 37th U.S. Infantry. It was designated Fort Lowell on 13 Jul 1868 after Brigadier General Charles R. Lowell, who died 20 Oct 1864 of wounds received at Cedar Creek, Virginia during the U.S. Civil War. It was abandoned in 1869.