Return to Military Index Page
Return to Forts Index Page
Return to NM AHGP Main Page
Return to Territorial Soldiers of New Mexico
Fort Conrad existed from 1851to 1854 as a Army post established in 1851 by Major Marshall S. Howe in Socorro County. It was named for Charles M. Conrad, Secretary of War. It was abandoned in 1854. Fort Conrad was post established 8 Sep 1851 by Major Marshall S. Howe, 2nd U.S. Dragoons, on the west bank of the Rio Grande near Valverde to control hostile Indians. The post was abandoned on 31 Mar 1854 after the construction of Fort Craig eight miles down river. After closure, the post was used to raise forage for Fort Craig and became known as Hay Camp.