Return to Military Index Page
Return to Forts Index Page
Return to NM AHGP Main Page
Return to Territorial Soldiers of New Mexico
Fort McLane existed from 1860 to 1864 as an Army fort. It was first established as Camp Wheeler in 1860 near Hurley, Grant County, New Mexico. It was renamed 1 Dec 1860 as Fort Floyd after Secretary of War John B. Floyd. It was renamed again as Fort McLane 18 Jan 1861 after Captain George McLane when Floyd joined the Confederate side. Garrisoned by California Volunteers during the U.S. Civil War. Abandoned in 1864. Also Known as Fort Webster and Fort McLean. It was established in 1860 by Major Isaac Lynde and two companies of the 7th U.S. Infantry to protect the Santa Rita copper mines. Abandoned by regular U.S. troops on 16 Sep 1860 and the garrison was removed to Fort Fillmore. The fort was reoccupied by the 1st California Volunteer Infantry and garrisoned intermittently until 1864. Source: Wikipedia.