Return to Military Index Page
Return to Forts Index Page
Return to NM AHGP Main Page
Return to Territorial Soldiers of New Mexico
Fort Tularosa was established in 1872 on the banks of Tularosa Creek. It was built to regulate the Apache Indian reservation.The Battle of Fort Tularosa occurred in May 1880 near Aragon in Catron County. Chiricahua Apache warriors led by Victorio attacked Fort Tularosa north of San Francisco Plaza. Buffalo Soldiers from the United States Army's 9th Cavalry, led by Sergeant George Jordan, defeated the insurgents.