A. D. Coon Socorro County, New Mexico

A. D. Coon, an orchardist and mine operator at Socorro, was born in Owego, New York, October 27, 1845, and was there educated. He was reared to the occupation of farming and gained a knowledge of mining in the lead mines of Joplin, Missouri, where he remained for about six years, after which he came to Socorro. He arrived in New Mexico in 1879 attracted by mining inducements. He began working in the silver mines, holding claims in Socorro Mountains, where he operated the Dewey mine. Large quantities of silver have been taken out from this mine, which is soon to be put in active operation again and there is much ore in sight. Mr. Coon has been continuously connected with the mining operations of the Territory since his arrival and is thus contributing largely to the development of the natural resources of the state. In 1886 he also turned his attention to horticultural pursuits, setting out fifty acres to all kinds of fruit trees, having between six and seven thousand trees. He did this as an investment in order to wait for a raise in silver and has found it a very profitable source of income, the only detriment being the lack of water and the storms which occasionally visit the district and have proved hazardous to the orchards. However, success has usually attended him and he has harvested some fine fruit crops. He has also done some farming and has made many experiments in horticultural and agricultural interests.

Mr. Coon was married in Socorro in 1886 to Miss Mary H. Rose, and they have a daughter, Gladys. In politics he is a Democrat, and is serving as a member of the city council of Socorro. Since coming to the Territory he has prospered in his business undertakings, owing to his careful direction and enterprise, and is now in possession of a handsome competence which has come as the reward of his labors.

 

Back | Socorro County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White