A. E. Macy Chaves County, New Mexico

A. E. Macy has for eleven years been a resident of the Territory, where he arrived in 1895. He located at Hagerman and for two years worked for the Pecos Improvement & Irrigation Company. In the fall of 1899 he purchased his present place from F. M. Brooks, who had homesteaded the property and planted an orchard of about twenty-eight acres. Brooks was about to let go the land. Mr. Macy, however, purchased one hundred and twenty acres, and at once began its further improvement and development. He planted twenty-two acres to fruit trees and now has fifty acres of bearing orchards, mostly apples, irrigated from the ditch of the Felix Irrigation Company. All of the place is improved, and is now a valuable property. In the spring of 1903 he purchased forty acres from Mr. Campbell along the line of the Pecos & Eastern railroad, laid out the townsite and named the place Dexter, in honor of his old home town, Dexter, Iowa. He sold lands there and started that town, but in 1904 disposed of his holdings to the C. L. Tallmadge Real Estate Company.

He is now concentrating his energies upon his fruit raising interests and his success is another proof of the value of New Mexico as a good horticultural district.

BackNew Mexico County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White