Andrew B. Laird Grant County, New Mexico

Andrew B. Laird, of Silver City, filling the position of county assessor of Grant county, is a pioneer of 188 1. He was born in Crawfordsville, Indiana, July 3, 1854, and pursued his education in the schools of that state. In 1876 he went to Kansas, making his home in Sterling, where he engaged in business as a builder and contractor until 1881, when he went to Las Vegas. There he engaged in building operations for eight months, and afterward went to Bernalillo. In February, 1883, he went to Deming, where he did the greater part of the building until 1893. While there he was elected sheriff of Grant County in 1886 and served for one term. He was re-elected to the office in 1892, and in 1894 was chosen by popular suffrage to the position of treasurer and collector. Since 1893 he has made Silver City his home, and in addition to county offices has filled some local positions, acting as town marshal for three years. He was appointed assessor in January, 1904, to fill a vacancy, and is the present incumbent in the position. In politics he has always been a stalwart Republican, and was the first representative of the party to be elected sheriff of Grant County.

Mr. Laird has not only proved an efficient and capable officer, but also an enterprising business man, and during the past four years has been closely connected with building operations at Fort Bayard. He has had some military experience, being captain of the only militia company in the field ordered out in the campaign against the noted Indian chief, Geronimo, in 1885, commanding Troop H of the Second Cavalry. Mr. Laird was made a Mason in Kansas, and he assisted in organizing and became the first master of Lodge No. II, A. F. & A. M., at Deming. He was also senior grand warden of the grand lodge in 1884. He is also an Elk.

Mr. Laird married Flora A. Haight, a native of Owego, New York.

Back | Grant County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White