Andrew Kelley Sierra County, New Mexico

Andrew Kelley, who till recently filled the office of assessor of Sierra county, came to New Mexico as a member of Company B, Fifteenth Regiment of United States regulars. He had enlisted in the army in 1867 at Cleveland, Ohio, and was stationed at Fort McRae. He served for three years at that point, and after his retirement from military service he was employed in the Indian department from 1870 until 1882. Turning his attention to private business interests, he followed ranching on Canada creek for three years and became connected with mining in Shandon district. He has been interested in mining to a greater or less extent since leaving the Indian department, but is now giving Ids attention more largely to ranching, having taken up a homestead below Elephant Butte dam, where his farming and stock-raising interests are being carefully managed and are resulting in the acquirement of a gratifying success.

In 1896 Mr. Kelley was elected to the office of county assessor, and by re-election was continued in the position for ten years. He has resigned the office of assessor of Sierra County, and is at present residing in Paraje, Socorro County, engaged in the mercantile business.

He belongs to Kingston Lodge No. 16, A. F. & A. M., has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish rite and is a member of the Mystic Shrine at Albuquerque.

BackSierra County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White