C. C. Clark Socorro County, New Mexico

C. C. Clark, a mine promoter of Kelly, in which connection he has been closely associated with the development of the rich mineral resources of the Territory, came to this place in 1883, and has since been a factor in its mining interests. He was born in Orneville, Maine, in 1839, and after acquiring his preliminary education in the public schools of Ohio attended Maumee Academy in that state. He was afterward graduated from Behm's Commercial College at Evansville, Indiana, and in his teens engaged in teaching school, continuing in that occupation for several years. He afterward followed merchandising in Evansville until his health failed, when he went upon the road as a traveling salesman. He was connected with wholesale and retail interests, selling all kinds of fancy goods, millinery, sewing machines, musical instruments and other commodities. In 1880 he went to Colorado Springs, Colorado, where he continued until his mining interests called him to New Mexico, in 1883. Previous to this time his attention was largely given to mercantile interests. In 1866 Mr. Clark was married in Indiana to Miss India Eva Jones, and their children are: Vivian V., a mining engineer and metallurgist; Matie Pearl, and William W., a mechanical and electrical engineer.

As stated, Mr. Clark arrived in New Mexico in 1883, and has conducted a hotel at Kelly since that time. He has engaged in operating mines on his own account since 1885, and also in prospecting. He has operated in Arizona and other districts of the southwest and is now a promoter of mining interests, securing the co-operation and capital for development of the rich mineral resources of New Mexico and thus contributing in substantial measure to its up-building and progress. He is a prominent member of Magdalena Lodge No. 18, K. of P., and also became a member of the Masonic fraternity while in Goshen, Indiana, in 1872. His interest in community affairs has been proved by his active co-operation in many movements for the public good. He built the first public schoolhouse in Socorro County, and was justice of the peace of Kelly for several years. He is quite active in politics as a supporter of Democratic principles, doing all in his power to promote the growth and insure the success of the party. A close study of the possibilities of the Territory has well qualified him for his work as a promoter and he is accomplishing much in this direction. 

Back | Socorro County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White