C. W. Haynes Chaves County, New Mexico

C. W. Haynes, who has for a number of years been numbered among the substantial citizens of Chaves County, taking an active and helpful part in the progress and welfare of the community, took up his abode within the borders of New Mexico in 1883, first locating at Las Vegas. For five years he conducted a cattle ranch eighty miles southeast of that city, near Fort Sumner, on the expiration of which period, in 1888, he came to Lincoln County, locating on a ranch forty miles north of this city, and in 1895 located in Roswell. In 1896 Mr. Haynes was appointed by Governor Thornton as sheriff of Chaves County, to fill the position vacated by Charles Perry, who had embezzled eight thousand dollars' worth of the county's funds and escaped to southern Africa, where he is supposed to have been killed. Mr. Haynes was elected to the position of sheriff in 1897, serving for two years, and during his tenure of office he discharged the duties incumbent upon him with signal ability and trustworthiness. Prior to entering upon the duties of that office he had served as county commissioner, and since retiring from office he has engaged in the real estate business, owning large interests.

On the 17th of January, 1902, Mr. Haynes completed a dam across Spring River, which conveys water through thirty-two hundred feet of canal and generates power for a water system. He is a firm believer in the future of Roswell, as is evidenced by the hundreds of city lots which he has bought. He deals extensively in real estate on his own account, and is also associated with C. D. Bonney in the business, they having large and extensive interests.

BackNew Mexico County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White