Colonel Sellers Bernalillo County, New Mexico

The progress of Albuquerque received an unparalleled impetus during the years from  903 to 1906. New capital was brought into the city, new projects for the improvement of the city as a place of residence were inaugurated, new public utilities were introduced and old ones greatly improved, and new blood generally was infused into the life of the community. On the 7th of November, 1904, the Surety Investment Company was incorporated, with Colonel Sellers as general manager. Early in 1905 this company began development operations on an extensive plan, platting and disposing of nearly seven hundred lots in Perea addition, the eastern addition, and Luna Place. Colonel Sellers personally platted and sold within thirty days the Grant tract on North Fifth Street.

In April, 1906, he effected the organization and incorporation of the University Heights Improvement Company, which began the development of a large section of land in the eastern suburbs of the city, beyond the University, at the south side of Railroad Avenue. Soon afterward Colonel Sellers applied to the Albuquerque city council for a franchise for a new electric railroad connecting this portion of the city with the business section, and immediately interested a large majority of the property holders along the proposed route in the project.

Colonel Sellers has been active in the promotion of various enterprises of this character in New Mexico for several years. Before locating in Albuquerque he devoted several years to the development of the San Juan valley. Though confronted by numerous obstacles which had been placed in his path by the more conservative citizens and business rivals, he has proven a strong factor in the growth of Albuquerque, which unquestionably owes much to his assiduous efforts toward the advance of the city.

Back | Bernalillo County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White