Elias S. Stover Bernalillo County, New Mexico

Elias S. Stover, formerly lieutenant-governor of Kansas, located in Old Albuquerque in 1877. With A. M. Coddington. W. E. Talbert and W. P. McClure, he engaged in business as Stover, McClure & Co. The firm had been established in West Las Animas, Colo. In 1881 they located in the new town, where the Hotel Alvarado now stands. The merchandising firm of Moore. Bennett & Co., predecessors of L. B. Putney, occupied the opposite corner. Mr. McClure withdrew from the first named firm in 1878. In 1884 it was succeeded by Stover, Crary & Co., who sold out in 1893 to Gross, Kelly & Co.

Back | Bernalillo County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White