F. J. Davidson Grant County, New Mexico

F. J. Davidson, senior partner of the firm of F. J. Davidson & Company, general merchants at Pinos Altos, is a native of Nova Scotia and came from Halifax, that country, to New Mexico in October, 1883, his destination being Silver City, where he remained until March 1884. He then went to Pinos Altos and entered the employ of the Pinos Altos Gold and Silver Mining Company, one of the pioneer companies operating in this locality, and practically the first company to build a quartz mill here. At that time V. C. Place was manager and Mr. Davidson was engaged as bookkeeper and manager of the company's store, which was conducted in the building which he now occupies. He was with the original company for two years, when they sold out to the Hearst people and the property now belongs to the Comanche Mining and Smelting Company.

In 1886 Mr. Davidson began business on his own account in Pinos Altos, successfully conducting his enterprise until 1890, when he suffered a severe loss through fire. He was then out of business for nearly a year, when he resumed operations in trade, and in February, 1903, he again suffered heavily by fire. He reopened his store, however, in the building which he now occupies, and is at the head of the firm of F. J. Davidson & Company, dealers in general merchandise. They carry a well selected line of goods and have a liberal patronage, which is constantly growing. Mr. Davidson has also been engaged in mining in Pinos Altos at different times, although not interested now in the development of the mineral resources of this section of the country. In politics he is a Democrat and fraternally is connected with the Elks at Silver City.

Back | Grant County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White