Frank Johnson Socorro County, New Mexico

Frank Johnson, a cattle rancher and market man residing at San Marcial, was born in Stockton, California, October 1, 1853. The years of his minority passed, he made his way to Texas and the Indian Territory in the spring of 1873 and traveled quite extensively. In 1874 he established a milling business at Henrietta. Clay County, Texas, where he remained until 1881, when he went to old Mexico, where during the construction of the Mexico Central railroad the firm of Brandt & Johnson, grading contractors, laid a considerable stretch of the road. He was thus engaged for two and a half years, and on the 19th of August, 1885, he located thirty-five miles west of San Marcial, since which time he has made his home in New Mexico. He has been engaged in the stock business, handling as high as two thousand head in a year, and he has a home both on the ranch and in town. The ranch is situated fifteen miles northwest of San Marcial. Both branches of his business are proving profitable, for he is conducting a good meat market in San Marcial, attended with a liberal patronage, and he is widely recognized as a business man of marked enterprise and keen discernment.

On the 20th of January, 1870, Mr. Johnson was married to Miss Jessie Johnson, and they have a son, Kelder, who is associated with his father in the management and conduct of the ranch. Mr. Johnson has always been a Democrat, but is not an active politician. He has been a Mason since 1893 and has served for the third time as master of Hiram Lodge No. 13, A. F. & A. M. He also belongs to Santa Fe Lodge of Perfection and the Wichita Consistory, in which he has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, and he is now senior deacon in the grand lodge of New Mexico. 

Back | Socorro County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White