Frank M. Pierce San Juan County, New Mexico

Frank M. Fierce, a merchant at Farmington, opened the second general store in that place in December, 1879. Soon afterward he sold the store to E. A. Clayton & Son, who failed, and Mr. Pierce again came into possession of the store. Subsequently he sold out to J. B. Hocker, who, a year later, disposed of the stock to Mr. Pierce, who has conducted the business continuously since. Mr. Pierce was born in Tennessee in 1851. After living about five years in Arkansas he went to Colorado for his health in 1875 and engaged in clerking at Florence. In October, 1879, he arrived at Farmington and has been one of the prime movers in the development of San Juan County. He has owned fruit ranches and herds of sheep, thus carrying on horticultural and stock-raising interests in addition to the conduct of his mercantile establishment.

For four years he served as County treasurer and is now a member of the board of County commissioners, and his influence has been a potent factor in matters relating to general progress. He has two sons, Harry and James, who are his partners in business. In politics Mr. Pierce is a strong Democrat, and, fraternally, is connected with the Masons of Farmington.

BackNew Mexico County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White