George A. Kaseman Bernalillo County, New Mexico

George A. Kaseman, who recently resigned the office of chief deputy United States marshal at Albuquerque, where he has resided since 1887, was born in Shamokin, Pennsylvania, in 1868. He was a student in Bucknell University at Louisburg, Pennsylvania, but before completing his course there ill health forced him to abandon his studies, and hoping that a change of climate might prove beneficial, he came to New Mexico. For four years, from 1887 until 1891, he was employed in connection with the management of the Harvey eating houses, and for eight years thereafter was with the Santa Fe Railroad Company in the general attorney's office at Albuquerque, and with the auditing department. He was afterward expert accountant in going over the Bernalillo county books, six months of his time in the year 1900 being devoted to that work. He was also connected with the A. A. Grant enterprises for one year and spent a year in the fuel business in El Paso. It was in the spring of 1897 that, in connection with W. H. Hahn, he organized the firm of W. H. Hahn & Company for the sale of fuel and erected a plant on Railroad Avenue, east of the Santa Fe Railroad. He is still a member of the company, having for the past nine years successfully operated in this line of trade. It was Mr. Kaseman who built the first long-distance telephone line in this part of the territory, extending from Albuquerque to Belen, the year of its construction being 1902. He was manager of the Automatic Telephone Company, organized in 1895, and absorbed by the Bell Telephone Company in 1906. His term as manager covered the last two years of the independent existence of the Automatic Company. In July, 1904, Mr. Kaseman organized the Albuquerque Lumber Company in connection with W. H. Hahn and Frank McKee, with Mr. McKee as president and Mr. Kaseman as secretary. The capital stock is fifty thousand dollars. For five years Mr. Kaseman has been interested in the sheep industry, having in 1901 organized the Las Animas Sheep Company, which was incorporated in 1905 with W. H. Hahn as president, L. A. McKee, Frank McKee and George A. Kaseman as directors. The range, partly patented, lies in Socorro County. He is interested also in other parts of the Territory, mort particularly in Santa Ft and San Miguel counties.

In October, 1901, he was appointed deputy United States marshal by C. M. Foraker, and was, till his resignation, chief deputy, having practical charge of the work in connection with this office. His political allegiance is unfalteringly given to the Republican Party, and he is a stanch advocate of its principles. Mr. Kaseman is a Mason, having become a member of the blue lodge in Shamokin, Pennsylvania, while he has membership with the chapter, commandery and shrine in Albuquerque. He is a charter member of the Elks lodge at Albuquerque, and belongs to the Commercial Club. The extent and importance of his business operations classes him with the most enterprising citizens of the Territory, and since coming to the southwest he has made rapid and substantial progress. He is quick to recognize opportunities, and with the rapid development of the Territory he has utilized his advantages until his invested interests are now large and his business interests prosperous.

BackBernalillo County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White

Please come back Again!!