George P. Cleveland Eddy County, New Mexico

George P. Cleveland, whose advent in the Territory dates from 1869, in that year drove to New Mexico a bunch of cattle from Blanco County, Texas, after which he returned to the Lone Star state. In 1893 he again came to the valley from Coleman County, Texas, but found no sufficient water supply and so returned to Texas; but in 1900, after the artesian belt had been assured, he came again and located at Roswell. He was engaged in business in that vicinity until October 16, 1902, when he located at Artesia, one mile east of where the town now stands. He took up three hundred and twenty acres of land and began improvements there. In March, 1903, he established a real estate business under the name of the Cleveland Land Agency, and has since devoted his energies to the purchase and sale of property, negotiating many important realty transfers.

He has five hundred and sixty acres of land six miles south of Artesia, which he is actively engaged in improving, and has already transformed it into a productive property, which is constantly appreciating in value. He has made a careful study of the artesian supply from a geological standpoint and has prepared an article showing the result of his studies, which is found on another page of this work.

BackNew Mexico County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White