Harry Cowan Chaves County, New Mexico

Harry Cowan, coming to the Southwest from Iowa in December, 1894. spent some time in looking over the Territory, and in the spring of 1895 took up his abode here, settling near Hagerman on sixty acres of land about a quarter of a mile northwest of the town site. He began making improvements in that spring, and in the following spring planted a ten-acre orchard. Later he had twenty-seven acres altogether in orchards, and he continued in the improvement of the property until the fall of 1905, when he sold his place, having previously, however, disposed of twenty acres of it. He then removed to his present place of residence, which is a mile and a quarter southwest of Hagerman, and here he has ninety-seven acres, upon which he is planting a thirty-five-acre orchard.

He intends to give his attention to horticultural pursuits, recognizing the possibilities of the Territory as a fruit-producing center, and already he has won success along these lines.

BackNew Mexico County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White