Harry H. Tilton Bernalillo County, New Mexico

Harry H. Tilton, of Albuquerque, came to New Mexico in the spring of 1895 from Chicago. He was born in Dayton, Ohio, in 1857, and while residing in Chicago was connected with the manufacture of furniture and with a publishing house. Entering upon his business career in the southwest, he' spent four years, from 1897 until 1901, on the staff of the Citizen, and at the same time he became interested in real estate. He saw the need of modern cottages and began to build for rent and sale. This was in 1899. He built many cottages on West Railroad Avenue, and in 1902 he was elected secretary of the Co-Operative Building & Loan Association. He has watched with interest the signs of the times in the real estate market in this section of the country, and has foreseen many needs for which he has provided. In May, 1904, he organized the Security Warehouse & Improvement Company, combining his private interests therewith. This company erected warehouses and other buildings, including the first exclusive storage warehouse in New Mexico. Mr. Tilton became secretary and manager of the company and brought much capital to the town, at least two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, which, being expended here, has been of the utmost benefit to the city in its material development and progress.

Mr. Tilton is a prominent York and Scottish Rite Mason, holding his membership largely in Chicago. He is also a Shriner and a past potentate of Albuquerque Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He likewise belongs to Temple Lodge and Rio Grande chapter, both at Albuquerque. He is also an Odd Fellow and was grand instructor in Illinois. His recognition of business opportunities in the west and the readiness with which he has met these and provided for them, have made him a distinguished and able business man of this section of the country.

Back | Bernalillo County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White