Jacob Weltmer Santa Fé County, New Mexico

Jacob Weltmer, of Santa Fé, who was elected department commander of the Grand Army of the Republic of New Mexico in 1905, has been a resident of the Territory since 1874. He was born in Palmyra, Pennsylvania, in 1841, and in July. 1863, enlisted in the Thirty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving during' the invasion of Pennsylvania. On the expiration of his term of service he re-enlisted in the Forty-fourth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battle of Nashville.

Jacob Weltmer became a resident of Santa Fé in 1874, where he has since been engaged in business. From 1876 until 1880 he was employed as chief deputy and clerk in the office of the United States collector of internal revenue in Santa Fé, and from 1888 until 1892, during the Harrison administration, he was postmaster of the city. Mr. Weltmer has exhibited a keen interest in educational matters and was largely instrumental in securing the erection of the present attractive high school building on the Fort Marcy reservation, in the north end of the city. The building formerly occupied by the Grand Army post was turned over to the schools, largely through Mr. Weltmer's efforts, as president of the school board, and this act finally led up to the transfer of the reservation to the city, the agitation which followed resulting in the construction of the present handsome high school building on that portion of the reservation already occupied by the old school building. Mr. Weltmer's service on the school board was characterized by a rare manifestation of public spirit. Since 1881 he has conducted a stationery and book store in Santa Fé.

 

Back | Santa Fe County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White