James A. Gilmore Chaves County, New Mexico

James A. Gilmore, connected with the substantial growth and improvement of the city of Roswell from an early period in its development and now extensively and successfully engaged in the real estate business as a member of the firm of Gilmore & Fleming, dates his residence in this state from the 23rd of June, 1887. During that period great improvements have been made in the town and wonderful changes have been wrought. After a few months residence here Mr. Gilmore opened a drug store, which was the first in Pecos valley, and continued actively in its management for six years. It is now conducted under the name of the Roswell Drug Company. He was also associated with his brother George G. Gilmore in establishing and conducting bottling works, which are still in operation. In 1896 Mr. Gilmore was called to public office, being elected county commissioner, which position he tilled for two years. He is a man of excellent business capacity and of broad resources, whose recognition and utilization of opportunity have been salient features in his success. In 1904 he began operating in real estate in connection with W. C. Fleming and the firm of Gilmore & Fleming now handle listed property and are prominent real estate dealers of Chaves County.

BackNew Mexico County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White