W. C. Burnett Guadalupe County, New Mexico

W. C. Burnett, who is engaged in conducting a meat market at Santa Rosa, is a native of Kansas and was at one time a student in the State University at Lawrence. He came to the Territory in 1892 and, locating in Socorro, engaged in the publication of the Socorro County Advertiser. Later he was in newspaper work in Albuquerque and at La Junta, Colorado. In 1894 he took up his abode in Elizabethtown, New Mexico, where he founded the New Mexico Miner, remaining there in active publication of the paper until 1897. He was afterward employed in old Mexico until 1902, when he came to Santa Rosa and established the Guadalupe County Democrat. He also secured the franchise for the water works and the electric lights and has been an able factor in promoting the welfare, progress and substantial up-building of the city, his labors in this direction being far-reaching and beneficial.

In 1903 he established a meat market in Santa Rosa, which he is still conducting and this is his present business connection with the town. He is, however, a public-spirited man, and one whose efforts have been of conspicuous benefit to the community.

BackCounty Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, VolumeI, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White