W. F. Daugherity Eddy County, New Mexico

W. F. Daugherity, engaged in farming, with three hundred and sixty acres of good farming land near Dayton, and also owning a half interest in a forty-acre addition to the town site, is prospering in both branches of his business. He came to the Territory in 1883 from Texas and located at Las Vegas, where he remained for a year. In 1884 he removed to Lincoln County, settling on Benito, near Fort Stanton, while in 1885 he removed to James canyon, on one of the heads of the Peñasco. He was the first man to put a board roof on a house in that canyon. In 1892 he removed to Hope and built the third house in that settlement. Making his headquarters there, he had sheep over the valley and was successfully and extensively engaged in the sheep-raising industry until the fall of 1900, when he sold out. In 1901, however, he again engaged in the sheep business as a partner of George Beckett, with whom he continued until he disposed of his interests in January, 1905.

In 1897 Mr. Daugherity took up his abode upon his present place near the town of Dayton and purchased the property in 1901. Since disposing of his sheep he has been engaged in farming here, having three hundred and sixty acres of cultivable land, from which he is now producing good crops. He is also interested in the Dayton town site, owning a half interest in a forty-acre addition thereto. His property is valuable and is being rapidly developed. He has great faith in the future of this country, and that his trust is well placed is indicated by the rapid rise in realty values and the substantial manner in which the work of agricultural and horticultural development and of stock-raising is being carried forward.

BackNew Mexico County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White