Walter H. Long Chaves County, New Mexico

Walter H. Long came to the Territory on the 1st of January, 1885, from California, having previous to that time been engaged in the sheep business in Shasta county, driving sheep from California to Montana and Colorado, selling Ids sheep, however, largely in Montana. Removing to New Mexico, he, in May, 1885, went with his brother, G. S. Long, to Texas and purchased cattle which they drove to this Territory, locating on Conchos creek in San Miguel county, about sixty miles southeast of Las Vegas. They were thus engaged in the cattle business until 1892, when they turned their attention to the sheep industry. For four years they were engaged in buying and driving sheep to Clayton for shipment. In 1899 Mr. Long purchased a ranch on the Mesa and removed to that place in 1900. In July, 1905, he bought the Charles D. Keyes ranch on Maro creek, fifty-one miles north of Roswell. He is now operating both ranches and he has one of the best locations in the Territory for raising sheep. His flocks number fifteen thousand, all fine stock, and averaging, at a wool clipping, from nine to ten pounds. He will clip one hundred thousand pounds in the year 1906. He also deals in sheep and handles the Rambouillet and Delaine breeds. He is one of the most prominent sheep raisers of the Territory, his business having reached extensive proportions.

BackNew Mexico County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White