William Gardiner Socorro County, New Mexico

William Gardiner, a cattleman of Magdalena, New Mexico, came to the Territory and located at Socorro in 1894, and has since been a factor in the commercial and agricultural interests here. He was born in Somerset, England, April 25, 1850, and acquired a public school education. In 1873 he came to the United States, and in Greene County, Illinois, followed the trade of a machinist, which he had previously learned in his native land. He afterward entered mercantile circles in Wrightsville, Illinois, where he conducted a hardware store and dealt in other kinds of goods. Removing from Illinois to the southwest, he was engaged in merchandising in Socorro until 1899, when he turned his attention to the cattle business at Bear Springs, nine miles north of Magdalena, known as the headquarters or the old Fowler place, a range ten miles square. Here he has since engaged in the cattle business, having large herds upon his ranch.

Mr. Gardiner was married in 1877 to Miss Susanna Pickard, and they have five living children: Henry, George. Charlie, Margaret and Otis. The daughter is the wife of W. P. Sanders. Mr. Gardiner is a member of Magdalena Lodge, No. 18. K. P. He was one of the organizers of the Cattle and Horse Protective Association of Central New Mexico, and is now serving as a member of the executive committee, and as the treasurer. He has become thoroughly identified with stock raising in the southwest, and the extent and importance of his business make him one of the leading representatives of this department of industrial activity.

 

Back | Socorro County Biographies

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume II, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White