Black Range, Robinson, New Mexico

The first paper published in Sierra County (then part of Socorro County) was started during the early fall of 1882 at Robinson, a little settlement about three miles from Chloride. The Black Range, as the paper was called, from the neighboring mountains, was moved, after the ephemeral existence of Robinson, to Chloride by its manager, Vincent B. Beckett. W. O. Thompson purchased the plant in the summer of 1885 and continued the publication of the paper until August, 1897, when the mines closed down and the paper discontinued. Mr. Thompson purchased the Sierra County Advocate in 1900.

W. O. Thompson, editor of the Sierra County Advocate, published at Hillsboro, was born in Canada October 18, 1858, and was reared near Richford, Vermont. In 1878 he made his way to northwestern Canada and visited various other parts of the west. In July, 1881, he arrived in Chloride, New Mexico, where he engaged in prospecting and in conducting a paper, the former, however, being regarded as his more important business interest. In 1885 he purchased the Black Range, a weekly newspaper, which he conducted at Chloride until the mines were closed down in 1897. In 1900 he purchased the Sierra County Advocate from P. J. Bennett and has since been editor and proprietor, making this one of the leading newspapers of the Territory, having a large circulation list and good advertising patronage. Mr. Thompson is a member of Hillsboro Lodge, No. 12, A. O. U. W. He was married at Chloride in 1885 to Miss Frances J. Harbison.

NM AHGP | Newspapers of New Mexico

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, VolumeI, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White