Capitan News, Capitan, New Mexico

The first paper in Capitan was the El Capitan, founded in 1900 by W. M. Clute. During the same year the Capitan Miner was begun by J. H. Lightfoot. The two papers were merged in January, 1901, as the Capitan Progress, under the control of Mr. Lightfoot and C. G. Nuckols. The entire management soon after falling to Mr. Nuckols, he continued the publication until the grand merger of Lincoln County newspaper interests took place in January, 1903, under the Eagle Printing Company, as above mentioned. The chief incorporators were: S. R. May, S. M. Wharton and J. E. Wharton. J. A. Haley was admitted to the company in July, 1903, and two years later he purchased the entire property and has con ducted it individually.

A Spanish paper, entitled El Farol, is also conducted by J. A. Haley, C. Hightower and G. A. Chamberlain, at Capitan.

J. A. Haley, publisher of the Capitan News and also of a Spanish paper called El Farol, has been a resident of Capitan since 1903. He was reared in his native state, Texas, and in 1893 came to the Territory, settling first at White Oaks, where he was an employee of the White Oaks Eagle. Later he managed and edited the Lincoln News, with which he was connected in 1896, 1897 and 1898. He then returned to the Eagle and after a short period spent in Alamogordo he removed to Capitan, where he has since lived. In 1903 he became the publisher of the Capitan News and in connection with this paper publishes the El Farol. Having devoted his entire He to newspaper work in one department or another, he is thoroughly familiar with the mechanical processes and at the same time is an able writer of editorials, giving to the public a well conducted news sheet. In politics he is active in the ranks of the Democracy, supports the party through the columns of his paper and is now treasurer and secretary of the County central committee of Lincoln County.

NM AHGP | Newspapers of New Mexico

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, VolumeI, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White