Las Vegas Optic, New Mexico

The Las Vegas Optic originated in 1879 with the establishment of the Optic at the town of Otero by R. A. Kistler, who six months later moved the plant to Las Vegas. The weekly issue was continued a few months, but November 4, 1879, the first issue of the daily appeared. Mr. Kistler was succeeded in 1898 by the Las Vegas Publishing Company, who turned over the paper's management to L. R. and C. W. Allen. In 1903 the Optic Company was incorporated, with James G. McNary as president. The politics of the paper, previously Democratic, now became Republican.

The new company bought the Las Vegas Record, merging its interests with the Optic, and increased the issue from a four to an eight page paper. Mr. McNary continues as president and manager of the paper, and is besides incumbent of the office of public printer for New Mexico.

NM AHGP | Newspapers of New Mexico

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, VolumeI, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White