Pecos Valley Argus, New Mexico

The Pecos Valley Argus, which was founded at Carlsbad, Eddy County, in 1889, by the Pecos Irrigation & Investment Company, was first edited by Richard Rule. In 1902 William T. Reed and A. D. Green bought the paper from the company, and in the following year Mr. Reed became sole proprietor. In 1893 the name was changed to the Carlsbad Argus. L. O. Fullen has been the editor since 1903. This was the first paper established in Eddy County. William T. Reed, owner of the Argus, a native of Columbus, Ky., has been in the newspaper business twenty-seven years in Kansas, at El Paso, Texas, and in New Mexico since 1881. He has been identified with the Pecos valley since 1888 and helped lay out the Carlsbad town site.

He was foreman of the Argus some time before he purchased the plant.

NM AHGP | Newspapers of New Mexico

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, VolumeI, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White