Raton Reporter, Raton, New Mexico

The Raton Reporter, weekly, was established April 15, 1889, by George B. Beringer, who is still editor and proprietor. It is a Democratic paper, and for six months in 1898 was published as a daily and for four years, 1892-1896, was issued every other day.

The first newspaper in Raton was a short-lived sheet, vigorously opposed to the Maxwell land grant.  The Comet was established at Raton by Adams Brothers, who sold it to George W. Geer, a banker, and from the latter it passed into the hands of June Hunt, who changed the name to the Range. The Range has been under the control successively of Mr. Hunt, Captain T. B. Collier, F. B. Morse, C. E. Stivers, and the present proprietor, Orrin A. Foster, who on June 19, 1905, converted it into a semiweekly. Part of the plant was formerly owned by the Maxwell Land Company in conducting a paper at Cimarron.  

NM AHGP | Newspapers of New Mexico

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, VolumeI, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White