Santa Fe New Mexican Daily and Weekly

The Daily New Mexican is the oldest daily paper south of Denver west of Topeka and east of San Francisco. The weekly edition is the oldest weekly west of Topeka, south of Denver and east of San Francisco. The daily has grown from a four column folio quarto of four pages to an eight page seven column quarto. The weekly edition, which is called the New Mexican Review, is also an eight page paper.

Col. Max Frost became connected with the paper first in the capacity of a correspondent on May 1, 1878; thereafter in a reportorial and editorial capacity and on the first of June 1883, assumed editorial charge, which he has continued ever since except from January 1, 1894, to January 25, 1897. During his connection with the paper he was adjutant general of the Territory, appointed by three governors-acting Governor W. G. Ritch, Governor Lew Wallace and Governor Lionel A. Sheldon. He served as colonel of the first regiment of militia by commission of Governor Sheldon from July 1, 1882, to July 1 1886, when he resigned. He was register of the United States land office from December, 1881, to May 1, 1885. He has served as County commissioner of Santa Fe County and member of the city board of education, and has been secretary of the bureau of immigration twelve years.

The weekly edition of the New Mexican was first issued in Santa Fe in 1863 by Manderfield & Tucker, editors and proprietors. The office was then situated on what is now known as Galisteo Street, on the north side of the River Santa Fe, between Water Street and the river. It was located for several years in a one story adobe building which was torn down about twenty years ago. It appeared partly in the English and partly in the Spanish languages. It continued as a weekly until July, 1868, when it was made a daily. The line of the Western Union Telegraph Company had been constructed to Santa Fe and telegraphic communications to Denver, to the north, and with Kansas City, to the east, had been obtained. From 1868 to 1880 it was the only daily paper in New Mexico.

The weekly edition was continued. On March 1, 1881, the owner ship was changed, Manderfield & Tucker having sold their interests to a corporation organized by officials of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company. On June 1, 1883, ownership was transferred to Max Frost, then register of the United States land office in Santa Fe, and W. H. Bailhache, then receiver of the United States land office in Santa Fe. The paper was conducted by them as managers and editors until 1885, when a stock company was organized under the name of the New Mexican Printing Company, of which Tax Frost. W. H. Bailhache and C. B. Hay ward were the stockholders. From June 1, 1883, to January 1, 1894, Col. Frost was the president and manager of both the private and incorporated company and the editor of the daily and weekly editions. A Spanish edition of El Nuevo Mexicano, published weekly, was inaugurated July 1, 1892. This edition is also an active publication at this date. On January 1, 1894, control of the corporation went from Col. Frost, who was the leading stockholder, to W. T. Thornton, then governor of the Territory of New Mexico, and associates. The paper, which had been Republican from dates of its issue to January 1, 1904, was turned into a Democratic organ and remained such until January 25, 1897, when Col. Frost and his associates again secured control. The policy of the three issues was changed on that date and the papers became again adherents and advocates of the principles of the Republican Party.

NM AHGP | Newspapers of New Mexico

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, Volume I, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White

Please come back Again!!