White Oaks Eagle, New Mexico

S. M. Wharton, another newspaper man of Lincoln County, came to the Territory in 1892 and became associate editor of the White Oaks Eagle in July, 1895, and in 1896 assumed entire control as owner and publisher. At the same time he bought the Lincoln County Leader and all the newspaper interests in the County and consolidated them as the Capitan News, managed by the Eagle Printing Company, which also owned the Alamogordo Journal. S. R. May was president of the company and Mr. Wharton secretary. After disposing of the subscription list of the Alamogordo Journal to W. S. Sheppard and the Capitan News to John Haley in April, 1905, he took up his residence in Tucumcari.

NM AHGP | Newspapers of New Mexico

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, VolumeI, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White