White Oaks, Golden Era, New Mexico

The first paper published in Lincoln County was the Golden Era, at White Oaks, the first number of which appeared December 18, 1880. Jacob A. Wise, now of Juneau, Alaska, was the publisher. The plant was moved to Lincoln in 1885 and published intermittently under various names and managements until 1902, when J. H. Lightfoot moved the paper to Nogal where it was issued as the Nogal Republican from May, 1902, until the election was over in the fall.

The second newspaper of the County was the Leader, established October 1, 1882, at White Oaks by L. H. Rudisille, and was conducted about twelve years. September 8. 1904. The Outlook was founded at White Oaks by Mr. Rudisille, and is still issued weekly, Republican in politics.

Mr. Rudisille, for many years was editor and publisher at White Oaks, came to the site of that town in 1880, being attracted from Santa Fe by the gold excitement. He has been interested in mining in this vicinity ever since. He is County superintendent of schools, having been elected in 1901. Born in southern Ohio and reared at Toledo, he served four years in the Civil war as a member of Company H, Thirtieth Ohio Infantry.

NM AHGP | Newspapers of New Mexico

Source: History of New Mexico, Its Resources and People, VolumeI, Pacific States Publishing Co., 1907.

©New Mexico American History and Genealogy Project 2011 - 2017
Created 1996 by Charles Barnum & 2016 by Judy White