History through Obituaries 
by Janelle Foster
Return to Main Page

Obituary of Joseph B. BECKAM; Friday 17 July 1931, Carrizozo New Mexico
Joe Beckman, who had lived in this country since 1880, chiefly in the Bonito region died Thursday of last week and was buried the following day in Nogal Cemetery. T. E. Kelly, local mortician, had charge of the funeral and Pastor Jordon conducted the ceremonies.
The deceased was one of the pioneers of the county and settled at and took part in the building of old Bonito City, which in now wholly obliterated and is only a memory. A quiet, reserved man, never seeking notoriety, yet possessed many interesting facts concerning the early settlement of Lincoln County, Mr. Beckman lived his long life in an unassuming manner. A faithful, lovable citizen was lost to the country when Joe Beckman crossed the divide. Peace to his ashes. Submitted without corrections by Rianna T. Bishop.

Obituary of Mrs. Joe BECKMAN Friday 4 November 1927, Lincoln County News Carrizozo
Mrs. Joe Beckman aged 82 years, died last Sunday at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lester Greer in the San Andres. She had been in bad health for several years, and that combined with advanced years brought to a close an eventful life. Mrs. Beckman came to Lincoln County 49 years ago with her husband, Benj Bragg and had lived in Nogal and Bonito sections of this county since coming here.
A few years after the death of her first husband she was married to Joe Beckman, who survives her. Five children also survive: Tom, Charles, and William Bragg; Texana Osward, Arizona, and Mrs. Rufus Brown, Hurley, New Mexico.
The body was taken to Nogal Thursday for burial and there interred Monday. Rev John H. Skinner conducted the funeral service. It was the same minister officiating at her funeral service who had performed the marriage ceremony that made her Mrs. Beckman 30 years ago. Many old friends who had known this estimable woman gathered at the grave side and genuine sympathy was tendered the aged husband at the grave and the bereaved children. Submitted without corrections by Rianna T. Bishop.

Carrizozo Outlook, April 24, 1925: Captain W. L. Bourne Passes On
Near the hour of seven on Wednesday morning, W. L. Bourne, aged 94, an old resident of this county, who for the past two years had been a sufferer, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. H. Skinner. Captain Bourne was born in the year of 1832 near the city of Richmond, VA and came to New Mexico in the year of 1881. Since the death of his wife in 1908, he had made his home with his daughter, residing first on the Bonito, afterwards on the Nogal-Mesa and finally coming with the family to Carrizozo. Captain Bourne served through the Civil War in Longstreet's Division, Cavalry Battalion No 37. He was here during the notorious Lincoln County War and arrived in these regions a few days after the death of the famous Billy the Kid.
He is survived by two daughters and two sons: Mrs. J. H. Skinner of Carrizozo, Mrs. Chloe White of Ruidoso, Robert and Cleve Bourne of Duran, all of whom attended the funeral services which were conducted by the Rev. Thompson of the Capitan Nazarene church of which denomination the deceased was a member. Aside from his children, 63 descendants survive him. The funeral was attended by the many friends of the family and interment was local. Submitted uncorrected by Janelle S. Foster

Carrizozo News, 21 Sept 1908
A Noble Lady Gone Mrs. L. W. Bourne died at Capitan Monday morning at one o'clock, and was buried in the Carrizozo cemetery the following afternoon at 2 o'clock. Mrs. Bourne's death was caused by a cancerous affection of the stomach, superinduced by old age. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Paul Bently at the home of John H. Skinner, of this place. The funeral procession was one of the largest that ever attended at this town, the remains being followed to their last resting place by a large concourse of relatives and friends from Capitan, Nogal and the Mesa country, augmented by numbers from this town, all attesting the worth and affection in which the estimable lady was held. She died full of years and left an abundance of kind deeds behind her. Everybody was  her friend.
Julia A. Fulton was born in Grayson County, Virginia, June 26, 1837; became a member of the Methodist church at the age of 12, and lived throughout her long and useful life a consistent member of that church and a devout Christian; was married to Louis W. Bourne on March 12, 1856, and her husband still survives; moved from Virginia to Texas in 1869, and came to this county in 1881, and settled on the Bonito.
Seven children blessed the union, two dying in childhood; the other five, three boys and two girls, all live in this county. They are: Mrs. John H. Skinner and Cleve C. Bourne of Carrizozo, Robert Bourne, and Mrs. W. R. White of Nogal, and Wm. S. Bourne of Capitan. Deceased
left seventeen grandchildren and seventeen great grandchildren. A noble life has gone out, a useful and beneficent Christian career has ended, but the calmness and resignation with which this grand old woman faced death, her faith in the future, and her sublime veneration
for all things divine robbed death of its victory and the grave of its sting. Of course, the aged husband, the children and relatives will miss the kindly smile and the encouraging word with which the deceased was want to greet them, but there is no consolation in knowing that her
troubles are over and that her life has been an example worthy of emulation.
Submitted uncorrected by Janelle S. Foster

Obituary for W.W. CORN, 13 August 1915, Nogal, New Mexico W.W. Corn, an old timer and Lincoln County pioneer, died at the home of his son in law, Lute Skinner, on the Nogal mesa, Aug 13. Mr. Corn had reached the goodly age of 66 years, his helpmate having preceded him some two years ago. Mr. Corn resided for a number of years on the Bonita, engaging in farming and ranching, and was throughout his life, one of the county's useful and progressive citizens.
Five children survive which are as follows: Mrs. Lute Skinner and Mrs. Lute Jennings, both of Lincoln County, Mrs. John Greer of Hurley, Robert and Mart Corn of Tombstone, Arizona. Rev. John H. Skinner of Nogal conducted a short service at the residence, and the corpse was transferred Saturday to Central, near Silver City, where interment was made Sunday Afternoon, August 15, 1915. Submitted uncorrected by Janelle S. Foster

Obituary of William Randall Greer, The Carrizozo News November 22, 1918 Another Soldier Dies. William Randall, second son, of Mr. and Mrs. G. B. Greer, Parsons, died at Camp Kearney, California, November 16. The body was brought home for interment, and upon the arrival of a brother, Lester, from Camp Pike this morning, interment will take place in the Angus cemetery this afternoon. Rev. R. H. Lewellyn, pastor of the Carrizozo Methodist church, will conduct the funeral services.
William Randall Greer was born at Rich Hill, Missouri, but came to Lincoln county with his parents in early childhood, and grew to manhood here. Randall, as he was familiarly known to his family and associates, was east when the United States became involved in war with Germany. He at once enlisted and took a physical examination at Baltimore, Maryland, but was rejected because of an intensely active heart. One failure didn't discourage him, however, and a few months later he made another attempt, was accepted and was sent to Columbus, Ohio, and assigned to a cavalry regiment. His command was sent to Monterey, California, for training and later was merged into the field artillery and stationed at Camp Kearney.
He contracted influenza while at the later place, pneumonia developed and death ended another career of a Lincoln county soldier. He did not die on the battlefield, but he gave his life in the service of his country, and his country and community accord him the same honor as though he had died facing the foe where he would liked to have been.
Besides father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. G. B. Greer, three brothers survive, Ira A., in the San Andres; James, a soldier in France, and Lester in training at Camp Pike, two sisters, Mrs. R. C. Skinner, Nogal, and Mrs. Douglas Cain, Socorro County; to all of who the News extends sincere sympathy. Submitted by Rianna T. Bishop
This obituary sheds light on the path Randall took after he killed the deputy who killed his brother, John F. Greer, near Deming in 1912. He most likely took the train to Maryland to escape the United States Marshal. It's known that he dressed as a woman fleeing to El Paso about 1914. Why he chose Maryland is a mystery. His wealthy uncle and G. B. Greer probably supported him. His service record was found under the name of Fred Lindsey.

December 20, 1918 Carrizozo News A Comforting Letter. Mr. and Mrs. G. B. Greer received a very comforting letter this week from the company commander at "Camp Kearney, California, under whom their son, Randall, was serving at the time he was claimed by death. The letter was addressed to a friend of the Greer family, who had written for information, and who upon its reception, delivered it to the deceased boy's parents. The letter is as follows: Camp Kearney, California, December 4, 1918 "My dear Sir: Yours of November 27th, regarding Randall Greer, to hand, and I am pleased to write to you concerning the matters of your inquiry. When I joined the company October 4th I found that he was acting as Stable Orderly, but had been transferred to Mounted Orderly at division headquarters. The stable sergeant was very anxious to have him back with him and at once requested me to have him returned to his former duty. This I did and had no cause to regret the action. I found him industrious, careful and interested in the work he had in had, and the interest of the company The position was one of responsibility, as assistant to the stable sergeant in full charge of the corral, horses and harness.
We had 83 horses, none of them the best in the world, and the job was quite a difficult one at that time. He and Sgt. Fairless were entirely satisfactory to me, and during that time neither the horses, nor corral, nor any of the property received any criticism or unfavorable report from any of the numerous inspectors. I spite of the laboriousness of his duties he was all that a soldier could be in personal appearance, neatness, military courtesy and attention to military detail.
About three weeks before his death the company was put in close quarantine and was not permitted to leave the company area except in a body when we went to exercise the horses. Greer and the stable sergeant slept is a large tent at the corral and even kept separate from the company, so that they might not be contaminated, and on the Sunday that he was taken sick I had secured permission for him and the sergeant to go on pass. On visiting the corral in the afternoon (Sunday) at about 4 p.m., I found him on his bed and very hot with fever. I immediately got the regimental surge who found his temperature to be 103.5, and we sent him in an ambulance to the base hospital. He died in a very few days, the first death we had in the company, and very sad to us all. I with 25 men were permitted to attend the services held at the station. I learned that he began to feel bad about 1 p.m. and at once came back to camp.
He made an excellent soldier, true and loyal; a splendid friend, as Stable Sgt. Harry B. Fairless, 1st Sgt. Roy Allen and Homer C. Ingham can testify. These men, all fine splendid soldiers and men, were his very close and loyal friends. On the final statement I made our as company commander, I was able to pay the highest tribute to a soldier by stating, Character excellent," for filing with the adjutant general of the army at Washington, D. C.
This camp, as many others, had an epidemic of influenza, and in this company of 117 men we had about 50 cases. I was in quarantine with the company the whole time, and we thought that Fairless and Greer would be perfectly safe, as they were quarantined to themselves.
If you desire to write to any of the above, as friends of your friend, the address at present is Headquarters Company, 46th F. A., Camp Kearney, California. It is a pleasure, though sad, for me to be able to write you a little of the high esteem in which I, as his commanding officer, held you friend. Yours Truly, William B. Guion, Captain 46th F. A. Commanding Headquarters Company. Note: Dr: F. H. Johnson was a Lt. at Camp Kearney. He returned to Carrizozo in 1920 after discharge.

Judge Kimbrell Dead---------------(Capitan Mountaineer, March 29, 1924) We hear with sorrow of the death of Judge George Kimbrell at his home in Picacho. It can be said without exaggerating in the least that Judge Kimbrell was one of the most likeable men in Lincoln County. He always had a pleasant word t say to all, he was a staunch friend and a most excellent neighbor-he practiced rigid honesty and he certainly did not like to break his word when once given—he dealt the cards on the square in life’s gamble—he concealed nothing-he was a square shooter and the Golden Rule applied to him as near as it is humanly possible for it to apply to mortals. 
What more can be said? When that is said of any man, it is one of the highest and most deserving compliments that can be said of the living or the dead. It certainly was true of the noble character of Judge Kimbrell who had lived for forty years in Lincoln County-coming here in 1863 and the following year was married to Miss Paulita Romero and the issue of this union were three sons and one daughter-Mrs. Brockway, John, Bonland William who is serving as Probate Judge of the county.
Judge George Kimbrell was one of the early day Sheriffs of this county and it is said the noted Billy the Kid on one occasion voluntarily surrendered to Sheriff Kimbrell. He was also a Pony Express Rider carrying the United States Mail from Fort Stanton to Albuquerque back in the early 00’s when Kit Carson was Military Commander at Stanton. 
Judge Kimbrell told the Editor he did not know just when the Indians would run onto and lift his scalp in riding across the county as Pony Express Rider for the Government. He also has served as Probate Judge. He was a native of Arkansas and at the time of this death was about 82 years of age. We extend to the loved ones our deep sympathy. (typed as printed and without corrections by Janelle Foster)

Below is relative of the James A. Cooper/Lucy Henley family whom I believe to be the James A. Cooper who came to Otero County about 1896 via wagon train. See book, "Carter Ken." Additional study needed on this family. White Oaks Cemetery records shows Effie Wood July 10, 1890-- Nov. 14, 1918, probably the first wife of Elmer Sam Wood. The obituary said four children survived her contrary to information received about this family previously by an elderly person. Elmer Sam Wood may be the gr gr gr grandchild of Ashby Wood & Nancy Kelly of Tennessee.
Carrizozo News November 15, 1918. Mrs. Sam Wood Dies. Mrs. Sam Wood died yesterday at Ancho from and attack of influenza. Mrs. Wood contracted the malady while attending her sick cousin (illegible) Cooper whose death from the same cause occurred two weeks ago. The funeral will take place at the Methodist church here this afternoon. Internment will be made in the White Oaks cemetery. A husband and four small children of the immediate family survive, and also her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James A. Cooper, a brother, James A., Jr., all of Ancho, and a sister, Mrs. R. E. P. Warden, of Carrizozo. The deceased was a member of the Lincoln county's oldest families, grew to womanhood and married in the county. She possessed a sunny disposition and enjoyed the friendship of a wide circle. The grief stricken husband, the motherless children, are saddened parents, brother and sister have deepest sympathy of all our people. End of the obituary.

Carrizozo News December 20, 1918 Aged Woman Dies. G. B. Greer received a message Monday night bearing the sad intelligence of the death of his aged mother at their old home in Missouri. Mr. Greer had received a delayed card, written some time ago, but delayed in delivery, stating that his mother was quite ill. Upon receiving this information he immediately came to town and wired to ascertain his mother's condition. The wire he received in response was to the effect that his mother had passed away several days ago. The delay in receiving the card, which was misplaced by a neighbor, prevented Mr. Greer from being at his mother's bedside in her last moments, which is a source of poignant regret to him; particularly as he had not seen his mother for a number of years. End of the obituary. G. B. lost his son and mother fifteen days apart.

Martha J. LARGE: Carlsbad Current-Argus, June 6, 1938. Newspaper on microfilm at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque NM 87131-1466.] FUNERAL SERVICES HERE TUESDAY FOR LAKEWOOD [New Mexico] WOMAN; Mrs. Martha J. LARGE died Sunday night at the home of her son, W. M. LARGE, at Lakewood [New Mexico]. She was 83 years old. Mrs. LARGE, former resident of Kilgore, Texas, had resided with her son at
Lakewood about six years. Funeral services will be conducted at 4 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at the West Funeral home. Rev. A. L. GOODWIN, pastor of the Baptist church, will officiate. Interment will be in the Carlsbad cemetery. Mrs. LARGE is survived by two sons and four daughters. They are: W. M. LARGE of Lakewood, Fred LARGE of Corona, Mrs. Mae KING of Kilgore, Texas, Mrs. Olla BELZIER of South Bend, Texas, Mrs. Gracie trOUT of Odessa, Texas and Mrs. Ollie PRIDE of Melville [Millville], Calif. 
trANSCRIBERS NOTES: Comments from transcriber in brackets. Lakewood and Carlsbad are in Eddy County, New Mexico. Corona is in Lincoln County, New Mexico. South Bend is in Young County, Texas.
Kilgore is in Gregg County, Texas. Odessa is in Ector County, Texas. Melville does not exist. There is a Millville, California in Shasta County. The West Funeral Home records were burned in a fire in the 1940's. Submitted by Craig McDonald.

FORMER RESIDENT DEAD (Capitan Mountaineer, Aug 2, 1924) Early Monday morning a telephone message from Alamogordo bore the sad tidings that Miss Louise Parker had died during the night after an illness of only a few hours. Miss Parker will be remembered and mourned by many people in and near Capitan, as she had lived here practically all her life up to about eight years ago, when she moved with her mother to Alamogordo, where the family now live. She leaves a mother, sister, and several brothers to mourn her early departure from life. By Janelle Foster  

A SAD DEATH (Capitan Mountaineer, Oct 23, 1925) We were sorry to learn this week of the death of the two year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Pfingsten, the sad event taking place at the home of the grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Pfingsten at Lincoln, Monday evening. The funeral took place Wednesday, and the remains laid to rest in the old family burying ground at Angus. The father is employed in the Forest service, and at the time the sad intelligence of his baby’s death reached him, was about to be operated on for appendicitis, which, however, was put off for a later date. The Pfingstens are numbered among the oldest and best people of Lincoln County, and the sympathy of the community goes out to them in the loss. Typed as printed by Janelle Foster

Duran Woman Dies (Capitan Mountaineer, Aug 2, 1924) Fred Pfingston left Tuesday for El Paso. His sister, Mrs. Robert Browne of Duran, NM is very ill there. A later message from El Paso announced the death of Mrs. Browne, before her husband and brothers could reach there. The remains will be brought to Duran for burial. By Janelle Foster

JOHN M. RICE OBIT JOHN M. RICE PASSES AWAY (Capitan Mountaineer, April 11, 1923)    John M. Rice, a well known citizen of this county, died at the family home in Lincoln last Tuesday, after a lingering illness of a year or more.  The family had lately moved from Parsons to Lincoln, hoping that the change in altitude would prove of benefit to Mr. Rice, but no benefit was derived from the change and he gradually grew worse until the end came.
 Mr. Rice was buried in the Angus Cemetery with Masonic honors by the Masonic Lodge of Carrizozo of which he was a member.
 Mr. Rice was 78 years old, a native of Illinois, and came to Lincoln County, New Mexico, in 1898, and engaged in the mining business and for a long time was manager of the Parsons Mining Co’s business in which he owned a large amount of the capital stock and owned other valuable interests in that part of the country. He was an enterprising man and did a great deal in helping to build up the country.
Mr. Rice leaves a wife, sister, Mrs. Della Molyneaux, and four daughters, Mrs. J. Q. Welch, of Dawson, Mrs. A. L. Weber, of Fort Bayard, and Misses Helen and Charlotte Rice, of Lincoln.(typed as printed and without corrections by Janelle Foster

Obituary of George SENA: George Sena was born in Las Vegas (NM) on April 23, 1864, making him 63 years and 11 months old at the time of his death, with his parents being Don [Spanish title] Ignacio Sena and Doņa [Spanish title] Agapita Orriz [sic] de Sena. He received his early education in Las Vegas and later settled with his parents in Lincoln County where he was married to Miss Teresita Carrillo. His public career began when he carried out the duties of deputy marshal of the United States under the Honorable Trinidad Romero. In 1888 he was elected County Clerk of Lincoln, being the first republican official elected in that county, being reelected to the same post in 1890, and in 1892 he was elected as sheriff. Later he was named as interpreter of the district court under Judge Mann. In 1907, he settled in this county [Guadalupe]  where he carried out the position of deputy clerk under Don [Spanish title] Placido B. Baca and later named as clerk. In the first state election in 1911 he was elected as county clerk for five years and later served as deputy on various occasions. He served as superintendent of schools filling the vacancy caused by the death of the late Boni Lucero and later filled the position of prohibition enforcement official where he contracted the deadly illness that cut short his life. Submitted by Annette Wasno.

Obituary: Rev. John H. SKINNER, May 26, 1932, Lincoln County News
Rev. John H. Skinner, Passes Away Early Thursday Morning Had Been a Resident of Lincoln County for More Than Fifty Years Forty Years a Baptist Minister. The curtain of life rang down Thursday morning at 4:20 for another of the old pioneers of Lincoln County, Rev. John H. Skinner who died as the result of a nervous breakdown and generally weakened condition.
His passing as he ended the dream of life was sweet and peaceful. Mr. Skinner will be greatly missed. He was a kindly man who always had a word of friendly greeting. He possessed a remarkable memory and could recall many incidents of interest and historical value in the early life of Lincoln County. Throughout all the years of his adult life spent in this county, he has always borne the reputation for business integrity and high moral character. He was an ideal family man, exemplifying in his personal conduct and example his affections and sympathies, his encouragement to education and worthy purposes in life, the sound principles of right living on which the foundation of best American citizenship is laid.
John H. Skinner was born on Feb. 9 1853 in LA. died May 26, 1932, and was 79 years, 3 months and 15 days old at the time of death. When a small boy he moved with his parents to Erath C. TX where he was reared and spent his early manhood. Dec. 5, 1872, he married Miss Pinkie Alice Bourne at Stephensville, TX who survives him. They resided in Texas until 1881, in which year they emigrated to New Mexico and located on
the Bonito. Over a period of 51 years, they have resided continuously in this county. In 1880 he united with the Baptist Church, became a minister and held pastorates in various part of the county until later years when he was unable for active duty as pastor. Several years ago he came to Carrizozo and was engaged in business here until about a year ago when he retired.
Besides his widow, he is survived by two daughters Mrs. Alie Duggar and  Mrs. Effie Zumwalt of Nogal, two sons, Floy W. of Nogal and Roy G. of Carrizozo, thirty five grandchildren and twenty five great grandchildren.
Funeral services were conducted at the Baptist church yesterday afternoon at 4:40 by Rev. L. D. Jordan, assisted by Rev. G.B. Short and Rev. E. L. Askins of Capitan. The Odd Fellows, to which order he belonged, had charge of the remains and acted as pall bearers. Interment was in Evergreen Cemetery in Carrizozo. Submitted uncorrected by Janelle S. Foster

Carrizozo News, Friday, March 20, 1923   
Claimed by Death, Mrs. Clifton Zumwalt died at her home on the Mesa, above Nogal, Monday morning of this week. She was attacked by pneumonia, and the violence of the disease resisted every effort that medical aid could render. The funeral took place Tuesday and the burial was at Angus. Mrs. Zumwalt was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. DeArman, formerly residents of the Mesa. She was 23 years old and was married to Clifton Zumwalt about four years ago. One child, a little daughter, now three years old, and the husband, survive. A sister, Mrs. John Skinner, besides those named above, also survives.
Sorrow dwells on the Mesa, where this young wife and mother was seriously beloved, and the entire country side attended the last sad rites and mingled their tears with the bereaved relatives. The grief-stricken husband and the little motherless daughter have the sympathy
of all who knew them. Submitted uncorrected by Janelle Skinner Foster

Lincoln County News  Carrizozo, New Mexico Thursday, April 12, 1962  price 12c Number 15 Lincoln County resident since 1888 died Tuesday  (Headline) Andrew Bowen Zumwalt was born in Ingram, Kerr County, Tex,  March 14, 1878. He passed away early Tuesday morning at the age of 84. His Parents were Mr. and Mrs. Thomas B. Zumwalt who moved to Roswell when Bowen was only one year old. In 1888 the family moved to Lincoln County and located at Angus. He attended the Angus school where he met Effie Skinner a daughter of the Late Rev. John H. Skinner and wife. They became childhood sweethearts and when she was 16 and Bowen was 20 they were happily married on the 13th day of February 1898, at Bonito City in a little log schoolhouse that also served as a Methodist church. When they were first married Bowen worked for the VV Cattle Company, the Bar W and the Block outfits. In February 1900 their first son came to bless their home.  The are parents of ten children: Two daughters, Mrs. Gilbert Peters and Mrs. Byrl Lindsey, of Nogal and Carrizozo. The sons are Clifton S.  Carrizozo, Floy of Artesia, Wayne of Sheridan, Oregon, Murray, Nogal: Jack of Carlsbad: and A. B. Jr. of Estancia. The other two sons were Gladney, missing in the Pacific since March 28, 1943, and Freddie who passed away when only three years old. They have 18 grandchildren. In the intervening years Mr. Zumwalt became a miner and then in 1910 he became an employee of the El Paso and southwestern railroad as pipe line laborer, in 1910 he was promoted to pipe line foreman; Then in 1918 he received another promotion to pipe line supervisor. In 1924 the El Paso and Southwestern was merged and became part of the Southern Pacific. Until retirement a few years ago Mr. Zumwalt continued with his job  as supervisor. The family lived at Nogal from September 1924 until a couple of years ago when they purchased a home in Carrizozo. Funeral services will be at 2:00 p.m. Thursday in Angus Chapel with Rev. Thomas A. Banks officiating, Carrizozo I.O.O.F. Lodge No. 30 will have graveside services. Casket bearers will be Charlie Hodgin. Robert Hicks, Walter Snell, Walter Lenard, Bert Pfingsten, Champ Ferguson.  Honorary bearers are L. R. Lamay, John Harkey, Fred Dawson, Will Ed Harris, Truman Spencer Sr.,  Henry Bosch, Oscar Moore, A. N. Runnels, Burial will be in Angus Cemetery. 
Submitted By Janice

Wayne Zumwalt On March 9 Mr. Zumwalt passed on to his reward at the age of 73.  He was born in Nogal, N.M.  Mr. Zumwalt's work was that of a machinist except from 1942 - 1945 when he was in the service of his country during World War II. He was a member of the Vicente-Manzo Post #45 of the American Legion in Benson. He is survived by his widow, Edna of Benson: A stepson, Don Purcell of Hydesville, Calif:  Four brothers and one sister. Funeral Services were held March 10th at 3 p.m. at Richardson's Benson Mortuary. Father Bill Johnson of St. Raphael's Episcopal Church in Benson officiated. Burial followed in the Benson Cemetery with military rites by Barney-Figueroa Post #6271 of the veterans of Foreign Wars. Submitted by Janice Hunsaker